GCLS Conference Scholarship Information
Scholarship Goals and Priorities
- Scholarships allow people who have never experienced a GCLS Conference and who can't afford to come based on their finances, to attend and learn about our organization.
- Applicants who have never attended a conference will generally be given preference over those who have.
- Additionally, we look for people who have not attended the conference in a long time and who have volunteered throughout the year but can't afford to attend.
- Scholarships are available to everyone
- Due to a high demand for scholarships, and in an effort to assist as many people as possible, the GCLS Conference Scholarships cover the cost of hotel rooms only.
- There are three types of scholarships:
- Partial Hotel Stay (1, 2, or 3 nights)
- Full Hotel Stay (4 nights, full room)
- Shared Room (50% of hotel room for up to 4 nights)
- We ask that you only request the amount you truly need so that we can help as many people as possible. For example, if you are sharing a room, only request a 50% shared-room scholarship.
- Scholarship recipients are required to work as volunteers at the conference. Members and non-members who donated funds at previous conferences fund scholarships. Volunteering at the conference is the way scholarship recipients can say thank you for those donations. Other volunteer info:
- Volunteer time is calculated at 2 hours of service for each night at the hotel that the scholarship covers. For example, if a scholarship covers all four nights, then the recipient will be expected to volunteer for 8 hours.
- We will work with all volunteers about assignments. We understand there are health, disability, and skill/dexterity issues. There are many things to be done, and we know we can find an assignment for every volunteer.
- Scholarship recipients will be notified two months before the conference by the Director of Volunteers. At that time, she will send all scholarship recipients a questionnaire, which will help determine appropriate volunteer assignments.
Frequently Asked Questions
- Do scholarships pay for conference registration, travel, or food costs?
No, that is your responsibility. We recommend that applicants sign up for the monthly payment plan for your registration costs.
- Is there a way to save on the conference registration since it’s not covered by a scholarship?
Conference Registration is available on a monthly payment plan. You can also purchase the less expensive no-food ticket/registration and bring food or purchase cheaper food outside the conference venue. The no-food tickets are also available on the monthly payment plan.
- I wanted to take advantage of early bird pricing/payment plan (available to Members only), but I’m counting on a scholarship. If I don’t get a scholarship, and I can’t go, can I have the money back that I’ve put forward toward the payment plan?
Yes, your money will be refunded.
- I got a scholarship two years ago, so I can apply again this year, right?
No, unfortunately, previous scholarship recipients may not apply for a scholarship for 3 years following a scholarship year. This is a change from previous years. For example, if you received a scholarship in 2015, then you must skip 2016 and 2017 before you can apply again for 2018.
QUESTIONS? Contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org
CLICK HERE FOR SCHOLARSHIP APPLICATION