2019 Evaluation Instruments
Below are PDF versions of the Evaluation Instruments for the 2019 Awards. Specific enhancements made for the 2019 judged awards include:
- Judges will rate all nominees on a 1-to-10 point scale rather than the 1-to-5 point scale usd previously. Statements are intended to capture the essential elements of award-winning novels, anthologies, short stories, poetry collections, or works of nonfiction, as well as essential elements of award-winning books in genre-specific categories.
- To reflect growing diversity, all GOLDIE categories include this in proposed judging guidelines:
- These books must include significant themes, characters, situations, and/or other lesbian-oriented content—i.e., literary works about women who love women.
- By eliminating and restructuring items, the number of closed-ended questions has been reduced significantly, typically by one-third to one-half. Open-ended questions have been reduced from eleven to two.
- GOLDIE entries must adhere to these length requirements:
- Anthologies/collections – a minimum of three individual pieces totaling at least 40,000 words.
- Novels – a minimum of 40,000 words.
- Nonfiction books – a minimum of 40,000 words.
- Poetry – submissions must be at least 48 pages long, and at least 50 percent “new” poems.