If you ever hear a member of the GCLS Board of Directors say "It's not in the budget," they aren't just making things up. GCLS does, in fact, work off a tightly managed budget each year. It's a budget that is complex and detailed. Every aspect of the organization works off a budget - operations, conference, Writing Academy, Awards, marketing, advertising, travel, membership, etc.
Here's a quick breakdown of the process:
- The Director of Finance (DoF) sends the upcoming annual budget to board members in November each year ( for approval in December).
- The DoF provides actuals through October and any known expenses through the remainder of the year. This is sent to each board member, and they are asked to send any financial requirements for their board position to the DoF and the Executive Director (ED).
- The ED puts together the budget for the conference. If requirements are within reason, we incorporate those funds in the budget. If not, we discuss with the board members to reach a compromise. The current DoF is quite stingy and says "No" a lot.
- The DoF and ED incorporate the conference budget with the overall budget. Adjustments are made as necessary.
- The budget is presented to the board for approval.
If you would like to review the current Annual Budget, or if you have any questions, please CONTACT Sandy, Thornton. She'll be happy to discuss it with you and answer your questions.